The LORD is my Shepherd
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Homekeeper

A call to…

• reuse when you can
  • make do with what you have
  • seek out and use local agriculture
  • to make what you can for home use
  • make everything you can from scratch
  • to seek out and learn new ways to be frugal
  • to develop a spirit of creativity in managing your home
  • to feed and clothe your family well, but to live within your means.

Use it up! Wear it out!
    Make it do or Do Without!

• http://christianhomekeeper.org/
    A peronal Journey of being a Christian _ BLOG

Please stop by and check out my blog.

http://thelordismyshepherd.sosblog.com/index.htm

A look at Psalm 61:1-2, in two versions of the Bible

Go down

A look at Psalm 61:1-2, in two versions of the Bible Empty A look at Psalm 61:1-2, in two versions of the Bible

Post by Susan Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:31 am

Psalms 61:1-5 (KJV)

1 (To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David.) Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.

2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.

4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

5 For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.

A friend of mine sends me bible verses each morning. They are not KJV, and often, they are not correctly interpreted. I have no idea which version they come from either. They are not marked with a version. Pretty pictures often are attached to the verses. While, I appreciate her gestures, I am often drawn back to my KJV Bible, to read the verses. Her version is as follows:

I wait quietly before GOD, for my victory comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will never be shaken. Psalm 61:1-2

Now compare it with the KJV of the same 2 verses.

(To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David.) Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.

2From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Can you see a difference? While her version draws from the Bible, it is not exactly what these verses are conveying.

I did find her version Bible verses are in the NLT. But the scripture she is sharing is more akin to Psalm 40:1-4 (KJV)

1(To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.) I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 2He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 3And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. 4Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

and, Psalm 62:1-2 (KJV)

1{To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David.} Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.

2He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.

I know this is contentious, but it causes chaos within churches when a Pastor is reading from one version, and the entire congregation is reading from different versions of the BIBLE. Like in my own church. Our pews are loaded with KJV Bibles that were donated by members of our church. Our current pastor reads from the NKJV Bibile. Sunday School teachers read from other versions, but the lesson books are also KJV. When the words do not match, there lies the confusion, especially to visitors. GOD showed me this, many years ago, when I began comparing the NIV version, to the KJV, that I had been raised reading. Not only that the words are different, but the meaning conveyed is different also.

In closing. These are beautiful, and poetic verses, in the KJV. The meaning is very clear. It is the HOLY SPIRIT, that gives us the meaning of GOD's WORD. We are told not to change anything. Yet man, continues to think he can change the WORD of GOD, to suit his own understanding. It is a sore spot with me. I trust in GOD, not man, to give an interpretation. I try very hard, to teach correctly, from GOD's WORD. I love the WORD of GOD. And have spent many hours of study, over the years. The BIBLE says, that Psalm 119:1 (KJV) 1 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

In order to not sin against GOD, we are taught at a young age how to memorize verses. But, it is the HOLY SPIRIT, that will hide those verses in your hearts.
    Susan
    Susan
    Admin

Number of posts : 5774
    Registration date : 2008-02-28

https://lordismyshepherd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down