The LORD is my Shepherd
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Homekeeper

A call to…

• reuse when you can
  • make do with what you have
  • seek out and use local agriculture
  • to make what you can for home use
  • make everything you can from scratch
  • to seek out and learn new ways to be frugal
  • to develop a spirit of creativity in managing your home
  • to feed and clothe your family well, but to live within your means.

Use it up! Wear it out!
    Make it do or Do Without!

• http://christianhomekeeper.org/
    A peronal Journey of being a Christian _ BLOG

Please stop by and check out my blog.

http://thelordismyshepherd.sosblog.com/index.htm

Chicken and Dumplings

2 posters

Go down

Chicken and Dumplings Empty Chicken and Dumplings

Post by Susan Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 pm

The recipe for Southern Chicken and dumplings:

Take a whole chicken, and can either slow cook it, or boil it on the stove until tender. Remove chicken from the pot, and wait til it cools down, and de-bone the chicken. I take the broth, and run the broth through a colander, to remove any bone fragments. I hate biting into a bone, so I am extra careful when de-boning the chicken too. return broth to the stock pot and add 1 stick of sweet butter, salt and pepper to taste. Don't add the chicken yet. Bring broth to a low boil. You'll add the dumplings at this point. To make homemade dumpling from scratch: Mix your flour, salt, egg, butter and milk in a bowl.Mix until a ball forms. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick, on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife cut your dough into bite size pieces. Dumplings will cook rather quickly. Once done, add your chicken pieces, either torn or chopped into bite size pieces. Allow to heat through and serve.

Lazy day dumplings, I use canned biscuits and pinch off the pieces of dough, to make dumplings. (My sister Cathy, taught me how to make the best clow cooker chicken and dumplings. Her recipe was her MIL's too.

Dumplings made either way, is great!

The Northern Recipe:

Northern recipe that my ex-MIL made, Chicken Fricassee and Cinnamon dumplings. My ex-MIL used Bisquick for the dumplings and they are light and fluffy. She would fricassee the chicken before entering it into the stock pot. I adjusted it and do not fricassee the chicken first.

Same on the cooking the chicken, but I add minced onion, salt, pepper and cinnamon to the stock pot. Remove chicken from pot, strain the broth, and return it to the stock pot and bring it to a low boil. To make the dumplings, follow the recipe for biscuits on the bisquick box. I usually mix cinnamon right into the dumplings also. Let the dough form a soft ball. Drop by tablespoons into stock pot. Cook open for 10 minutes, flip the dumplings, cover and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove them from the pot, and continue until all your dumplings are cooked. At this point you can add the chicken back into the pot, and the dumplings. This recipe is delicious!
    Susan
    Susan
    Admin

Number of posts : 5774
    Registration date : 2008-02-28

https://lordismyshepherd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chicken and Dumplings Empty Re: Chicken and Dumplings

Post by donovankrebs Tue May 12, 2015 11:49 pm

That sounds so delicious!
    donovankrebs
    donovankrebs