The LORD is my Shepherd
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Homekeeper

A call to…

• reuse when you can
  • make do with what you have
  • seek out and use local agriculture
  • to make what you can for home use
  • make everything you can from scratch
  • to seek out and learn new ways to be frugal
  • to develop a spirit of creativity in managing your home
  • to feed and clothe your family well, but to live within your means.

Use it up! Wear it out!
    Make it do or Do Without!

• http://christianhomekeeper.org/
    A peronal Journey of being a Christian _ BLOG

Please stop by and check out my blog.

http://thelordismyshepherd.sosblog.com/index.htm

Extremism and Survival Prepardness

2 posters

Go down

Extremism and Survival Prepardness Empty Extremism and Survival Prepardness

Post by Susan Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:43 am

It seems to be becoming the norm, for many Chiristans are getting caught up in how to survive the times, in which we are living. Let me share with you, why the LORD will provide all your needs, and that we should not get caught up in these ideas.

Paul understood how the early Church was beginning to fall victim to the rumors of the Rapture. They were looking for the Rapture to take place, and forsook the BASIC PRINICPALS that JESUS had given to the disciples, to work and to look for the BLESSED HOPE. JESUS told the disciples to depend upon their own wages and work ethics for support.

Luke 10:4 Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way. 5 And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace [be] to this house. 6 And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again. 7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.8 And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you: 9 And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

Luke 22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

1 Thessalonians 4:10 And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more; 11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; 12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and [that] ye may have lack of nothing.

Many of the people began to quit their jobs, and to hoarde food and other items, awaiting the blessed event. They were being led down a false pathway. Paul tells them:

1 Thessalonians 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. 5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. 7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. 9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. 11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. 12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; 13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves. 14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. 15 See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. 16 Rejoice evermore. 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 19 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesyings. 21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. 25 Brethren, pray for us. 26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss. 27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren. 28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Excerpt from Matthew Henry's Comentary:

I. To watchfulness and sobriety, v. 6. These duties are distinct, yet they mutually befriend one another. For, while we are compassed about with so many temptations to intemperance and excess, we shall not keep sober, unless we be upon our guard, and, unless we keep sober, we shall not long watch. 1. Then let us not sleep as do others, but let us watch; we must not be secure and careless, nor indulge spiritual sloth and idleness.

2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. 3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil. 4 And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you. 5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you; 8 Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you: 9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us. 10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. 11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread. 13 But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing. 14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother. 16 Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all. 17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Excerpts from Matthew Henry's Comentary:

II. He encourages them to trust in God. We should not only pray to God for his grace, but also place our trust and confidence in his grace, and humbly expect what we pray for. Observe,

1. What the good is which we may expect from the grace of God-establishment, and preservation from evil; and the best Christians stand in need of these benefits. (1.) That God would establish them.

Philipians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Excerpt from Matthew henry Comentaries

2. The exhortation itself: So stand fast in the Lord. Being in Christ, they must stand fast in him, be even and steady in their walk with him, and close and constant unto the end. Or, To stand fast in the Lord is to stand fast in his strength and by his grace; not trusting in ourselves, and disclaiming any sufficiency of our own. We must be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might, Eph. 6:10. "So stand fast, so as you have done hitherto, stand fast unto the end, so as you are by beloved, and my joy and crown; so stand fast as those in whose welfare and perseverance I am so nearly interested and concerned.

Notice that through out all these SCRIPTURES, we find that yes, we should work and provide for ourselves, but that we should not do so excessively. We should DEPEND upon the LORD to PROVIDE our needs, even in dire times. Timothy also tells us:

1 Timothy 6:7 For we brought nothing into [this] world, [and it is] certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and [into] many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Excerpt from Matthew Henry's Comentary:

2.) The reason he gives for it is, For we brought nothing with us into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out, v. 7. This is a reason why we should be content with a little. [1.] Because we can challenge nothing as a debt that is due to us, for we came naked into the world. Whatever we have had since, we are obliged to the providence of God for it; but he that gave may take what and when he pleases. We had our beings, our bodies, our lives (which are more than meat, and which are more than raiment), when we came into the world, though we came naked, and brought nothing with us; may we not then be content while our beings and lives are continued to us, though we have not every thing we would have? We brought nothing with us into this world, and yet God provided for us, care was taken of us, we have been fed all our lives long unto this day; and therefore, when we are reduced to the greatest straits, we cannot be poorer than when we came into this world, and yet then we were provided for; therefore let us trust in God for the remaining part of our pilgrimage. [2.] We shall carry nothing with us out of this world. A shroud, a coffin, and a grave, are all that the richest man in the world can have from his thousands. Therefore why should we covet much? Why should we not be content with a little, because, how much soever we have, we must leave it behind us? Eccl. 5:15, 16.

Bring nothing (Strong's Lexicon)

1) to do away with, to set aside, disregard

2) to thwart the efficacy of anything, nullify, make void, frustrate

3) to reject, to refuse, to slight

Watch (Strong's Lexicon)

1) to watch

2) metaph. give strict attention to, be cautious, active

a) to take heed lest through remission and indolence some destructive calamity suddenly overtake one

Be Sober (Strong's Lexicon)

1) to be sober, to be calm and collected in spirit

2) to be temperate, dispassionate, circumspect

Last edited by Susan on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    Susan
    Susan
    Admin

Number of posts : 5774
    Registration date : 2008-02-28

https://lordismyshepherd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Extremism and Survival Prepardness Empty Re: Extremism and Survival Prepardness

Post by Susan Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:51 am

Who is it that supplies ALL our NEEDS?

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Shall Supply (Strong's Lexicon)

1) to make full, to fill up, i.e. to fill to the full

a) to cause to abound, to furnish or supply liberally

1) I abound, I am liberally supplied

2) to render full, i.e. to complete

a) to fill to the top: so that nothing shall be wanting to full measure, fill to the brim

b) to consummate: a number

1) to make complete in every particular, to render perfect

2) to carry through to the end, to accomplish, carry out, (some undertaking)

c) to carry into effect, bring to realisation, realise

1) of matters of duty: to perform, execute

2) of sayings, promises, prophecies, to bring to pass, ratify, accomplish

3) to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment

Last edited by Susan on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Susan
    Susan
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:03 am

We are called to be temperate, not alarmists:

Titis 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: 2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. 3 The aged women likewise, that [they be] in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 [To be] discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. 6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded. 7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine [shewing] uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you. 9 [Exhort] servants to be obedient unto their own masters, [and] to please [them] well in all [things]; not answering again; 10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

Titis 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; 8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; 9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Temperate (Strong's Lexicon)

1) strong, robust

2) having power over, possessed of (a thing)

3) mastering, controlling, curbing, restraining

a) controlling one's self, temperate, continent

1) of a sound mind, sane, in one's senses

2) curbing one's desires and impulses, self-controlled, temperate
    Susan
    Susan
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:17 am

This means that we should not be concerned of things of this world, but we should be concerned about doing WORK that supports us, while living in this world. There is no need to be alarmed, and we can depend upon the LORD, during the tough times ahead.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
    Susan
    Susan
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BornTwice Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Amen!
    Don't quit our jobs
    I believe in having about 30 days of extra supplies for natural disaster, but will only purchase these items (for me it's food and water, candles), will only purchase these items when I can truly afford them, lol.
    BornTwice
    BornTwice
    Members

Number of posts : 55
    Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Susan Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:14 pm

BornTwice wrote:Amen!
    Don't quit our jobs
    I believe in having about 30 days of extra supplies for natural disaster, but will only purchase these items (for me it's food and water, candles), will only purchase these items when I can truly afford them, lol.

Borntwice, I agree, there is nothing wrong with being prepared, but at the same time, we should not do it in excess. Our family, for instance budgets and prepares our purchases to last for at least three months. This has become the standard for our household. We have 4 adults and three children, that eat and spend most of their time with us, during the day. So being frugal, is also important to us. We are sure to use up what we have, before purchasing more, and we try hard not to be wasteful, just because we know that we have more. We also have found that in living frugally, and in our daily planning, we are able to help others in need. Recently, we did just that, with a family that was struggling...and it is because the LORD has provided the means for us to be able to do that. I have to give HIM all the credit, because nothing is done, without HIS HAND in it.

You can read and study more about being frugal, here:

https://lordismyshepherd.forumotion.com/general-bible-study-f7/being-frugal-t361.htm?highlight=frugal

Susan
    Susan
    Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum